The British Faery: Where Did All The Dragons Go?

Thursday 29 March 2012

Where Did All The Dragons Go?

Long ago, and by and by,
dragons ruled the earth and sky....


Where Did All The Dragons Go, By Fay Robinson.
This is a beautiful story, that reads like an old poem, a folktale that has been told round campfires for hundreds of years, passed down through the ages.
The wonderfully rhymed words, repetition and descriptive language captures adults and children alike. Older children love that they can quickly remember the words and read along, younger children shouting the last words with glee.
If the poem wasn't enough (Which it most definitely is!) The illustrations drawn by Victor Lee, are outstanding. On each page dragons come to life, so real they almost seem as if they are about to fly of the page. 
The thing I love most about the illustrations, are the variety of dragon species, each one is entirely different, full of its own character and charm. I love the English Dragons, with their spikes and fierce looking faces, yet the romantic, sleek dragons with butterfly wings catch my attention every-time I open the page.

If you haven't already read this book, I highly recommend it. It was a firm favourite with my class of 20 3-4 yr olds, who wanted to read it nearly everyday! (As did I!)

Here is a link to Amazon, where you can browse through the book..... 

If you have read this book, I would love to hear what you and your children think of it, please leave me a comment below and share the magic!



1 comment:

  1. I'm 18 years old and have loved this book for a long time and still do. I read it quite frequently, most often to my girlfriend when she asks for a story. Love, love, love this book!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some Love!!